Spanish - Scheme of Work 2019-2020
Spanish at Blackwood
Aims and purposes:
The main aim of language teaching is to develop children’s linguistic competence. Lessons are frequent, so that previously learnt language can be reinforced and children can make good progress.
The teaching of languages at key stage 1 and 2 offers opportunities for children to:
■ become increasingly familiar with the sounds and written form of a new language
■ develop linguistic skills, knowledge about language and language-learning skills
■ understand and communicate in a new language
■ make comparisons between a foreign language and English or another language
■ increase their cultural awareness by learning about different countries and their people, and working with materials from those countries and communities
■ develop positive attitudes towards language learning
■ use their knowledge with growing confidence and competence to understand what they hear and read, and to express themselves in speech and in writing
■ form a sound basis for further study at key stage 3 and beyond.
This scheme of work is published on the DfES Standards website at www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes3 and has been adapted to fit with our school curriculum. The units can be accessed in different formats.
Some of the day to day activities to boost Spanish around the school are:
• Register in Spanish.
• Classroom instructions in Spanish.
• Art/Geography/History keywords in Spanish.
• Children put a marker on any Spanish speaking countries visited on a world map.
• Follow a team in La Liga.
• Listen to Spanish chart music.
• Discuss news relevant to Spanish speaking countries.
• Daily timetable/date etc. in board in Spanish.
• Encourage children to use “Linguascope” at home or when they have finished their work. Please speak to your child's teacher for your password.
Differentiation can be achieved in two main ways:
Assessment forms an important part and might take the following forms: