Aliens Love Underpants
This week in nursery we will be looking at the book, 'Aliens Love Underpants.' We hope you enjoy the story.
To give meaning to marks seen in different places. (Points to marks in different places and assigns meaning to the marks, writing or drawing. No need to be correct.)
- Write your child’s name on a piece of paper and hide it around the house. Encourage your child to find their name. You could make it more challenging by hiding other words that start with the same letter and they have to find the one that is their name. This will help your child to recognise their name and the letters in it.
- Show your child your shopping list and encourage them to tell you what items they think you have added.
- When reading a bedtime story, encourage your child to look at the print in the illustrations or speech bubbles and tell you what they think it might mean. They can use the illustrations to help them.
- Go on a walk and hunt for marks. For example, signs, posters… Ask your child what they think the marks mean. If there are images too, encourage them to use these to help them.
- Go on a hunt around the house to see if they can find any marks. For example, you might have prints with wording on the walls, writing on electrical appliances, writing on food packaging and toiletries…
To talk about the shapes of objects outside. (For example, square windows and circle road signs.
- Create your own shape wands for a shape hunt.
- Go on a shape walk in your garden or local area and take photos of shapes you can see.
- Look at the photos and support your child to name the shapes they have found.
- Sort the photographs into different piles depending on their shape.
- Use the worksheet attached below for more shape activities.
Please look at the document, 'Additional activities to support your child's learning in 30-50 months' and the new document 'Summer 2 parent support activities 30-50 months' for more ideas how to support your child in the different areas of learning. Any links in bold in the new document can be found in the rainbow dated 1.06.20.