To recite numbers in order to 10
- Count with your child as they are getting dressed. Can they put on their t-shirt by the time you count to 10? See if they can count to 10 before you complete a task.
- Make up actions that your child likes to do e.g. star jumps, hops etc. Count to 10 as they do the same number of actions.
- Count with puppets and teddies. The teddies can make a mistake when counting and see if your child knows which number they missed?
- Help your child to count to 10 by singing this catchy song below.
- Encourage your child to count their fingers to ten and then their toes. Let them try counting other family members too.
To enjoy rhyming and rhythmic activities
- Read your child’s favourite rhyming stories and talk about the rhyming words.
- Sing nursery rhymes together or say favourite rhymes or poems. The nursery rhyme cards below should give you some ideas.
- Print the rhyming cards below (or make your own) and match the rhyming pictures.
- Put three objects on the floor, making sure that only two of the objects rhyme. Encourage your child to spot the odd one out.
- Put lots of rhyming objects in a bag. Encourage your child to pull them out of the bag and find the matching pairs.